The Old Grammar School
This building dates back to Medieval times and now houses the Ledbury Heritage Centre.
The Old Grammar School.
At the top of Church Lane, the much-photographed cobbled street leading up to St Michael’s and All Angels, is a long, low building with a mysterious past. It is called The Old Grammar School because one thing we know for sure is that from the 16th century until around 1860 it was a school. But…
- Why was it built?
- What were its connections to the East Anglian wool trade?
- Why is there an enormous chimney at one end of the building?
It now houses the Heritage Centre and tells the story of building in the town – and much more.
The Upper Floor is a beautiful space that hosts events and exhibitions. Available to hire, please contact us.
The Upper Floor
Whilst the Heritage Centre was closed in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Trustees worked hard to refurbish the Upper Floor at the Old Grammar School.
Now it is a venue for exhibitions, meetings and events. Holding a maximum of 50 people, it has a small kitchenette and toilet. It is light and airy with good acoustics and fully equipped with tables and chairs. There is a screen for films/presentations and sound equipment is also available. We offer special rates for local and charitable organisations.
Please note that this is a first floor room and currently has no disabled access, and that the beautifully restored floor, as in many old buildings, slopes!
To find out more and arrange a visit to the Upper Floor please contact us.